Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Moving My Mom


So, this last weekend, Mark and I spent a very unromantic 2nd anniversary moving my mom from Colville, Washington (north of Spokane) down to Portland and into our house. We are very excited to have her here as it helps us out tremendously to have her helping us take care of Bailey since we both work full-time. Okay, that all said...what a friggin' nightmare!! All the years I was in college, every time my mom would move, I would tell her "Mom! Don't get rid of that! It was my favorite Trapper Keeper from 7th grade! Have a heart, for the love of God!" In case anyone wants to see any of my grade school report cards, I guilted her into saving all of them over the years...it won't come as any kind of shock that all my teachers said "Mary is so smart and such a joy to have in class...BUT she needs to not talk so much." HAHA!! At any rate, we filled a 10' U-Haul truck as well as a 5'x8' U-Haul trailer full of her stuff and had to fit all of it into a 5'x7' storage unit. By the grace of God, we managed it but HOLY CRAP. At one point, I said to Mark, "If I see one more box labeled 'Knick Knacks', I'm going to scream!" Wouldn't you know that the very next box I picked up said "Trinkets" as if that was somehow less annoying than "knick knacks". What a hoot. Happy Anniversary to us. After working our buns off all day, we decided we had to "celebrate" somehow so we drove to Clackamas (we live in Troutdale) and had dinner at the new Claim Jumper restaurant there. We loved the food but we were so exhausted that we just sat and stared at each other...and not in the romantic way you might think.


Here's a picture of Bailey chewing on a tater tot wrapper when we stopped for lunch on Sunday in the booming metropolis of Ritzville, Washington. This was right after he puked all over Grandma...haha...he was feeling good then! :) I will blog some other time about Bailey's version of the road trip...

2 comments:

Melanie said...

OH MY GOSH! I think I peed at little when I read that! First of all because of your comment about the "Trapper Keepers" and report cards (which, by the way sound much like mine) was so TRUE! I swear I thought there would be no end to Faye's boxes labeled "knick-knacks", either! As I was reading your funny post, I drifted off into a nightmare about how horrific it would be to move my own mom...what with all the appliances in her yard! I woke up from my trance and realized that only then could I ever trump you on "Moving my mom"!!

Melanie said...

PS...wht a stinkin cute baby you have! That right there is worth moving all of Faye's knick-knacks and trinkets!