Monday, August 20, 2007

Freeway Off-ramps

I have always known that I rate pretty low on the scale of compassion. This last Saturday, I realized why. Since I've lived in Portland (because you know I had hardly ever driven on the freeway before that), I have NEVER, not once, given money or anything else to any of the people you see with the signs on freeway on- and off-ramps telling their sad story about why I should part with my money on their behalf. I felt very vindicated on Saturday when I pulled off the freeway and spotted a guy, sitting on a crate holding a sign that simply said "homeless". The first thing I noticed was how average he looked with an Old Navy type button up plaid shirt, jeans and tennis shoes...pretty much how my husband dresses. The second (and final) thing I noticed was that as he was sitting there, begging for handouts from people, at least he had his iPod to keep him company.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, but an i-pod needs to be charged, or it's only useful for like 4 hours. So only an idiot would give one to some homeless guy instead of some loose change. Sorry, I had my i-pod stolen recently, so I'm bitter. Maybe that guy stole MY i-pod!?

Melanie said...

I just peed my pats afterr reading that!

Unknown said...

http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/media.asp?file=098

Indeed.