Friday, July 27, 2007

Redneckin'

So, I know many of you have been waiting in anticipation for my blog about our family camping trip and I'm a little nervous--hoping I live up to the expectations. :)

I can't even write this blog without starting with a confession: about 8 years ago, my sister-in-law Wendi (shout out, Wendi!) shocked our entire family by showing up to the family camping trip dragging along a U-Haul trailer. I thought I was going to laugh myself silly when I saw my big, bad, redneck brother pull up to a totally rustic (and I mean R-U-S-T-I-C) "campground" (a.k.a. some mostly flat spot in the middle of the forest by a lake) pulling a U-Haul. I thought Wendi was the citiest city girl I had ever met and this just solidified it. Imagine my humiliation when I realized this summer that there wasn't room in our SUV for Mark, Mary, Bailey, Grandma Faye AND Sasha along with all of our stuff. This is what I said to myself: "Holy crap. THIS is why Wendi had to rent a U-Haul! I owe her a MAJOR apology for all the years of mocking and scorn." So, Wendi, may my deepest and sincerest apology live on eternally entombed in the internet! :)

Okay, moving on. The funnest game ever invented: The Redneck Game of Life. http://www.rednecklife.us/ The whole point of this game is to finish the game with the most teeth. True story. Mark & I have played this game several times with several different groups of people but I knew deep in my heart that nothing could have prepared him for playing it with my family. Here are three direct quotes from the game:

Monty (p.s. he had a mullet until not that long ago): (upon turning over the card that would reveal the "house" he would be buying) "Hey Julie, come look at this! This looks just like our trailer!"

Marty (p.s. he lives in BFE Montana): (Upon review of nearly EVERY "Go Redneckin'" card he turned over) "Okay, that one hits just a little to close to home."

Cody (Marty's 10-year-old son): (After Marty got a card that made him lose a tooth because his bat riquocheted while playing mailbox baseball) "Hey Dad! Is that what happened to our frog mailbox?" Yep.

There is a card in the game that requires all the players to engage in a pig calling contest (seriously). Dusty got that card and, for the record, I won. Thank you very much. Later on Dusty got a card that caused Marty to lose his job (which required a 5th grade education, mind you) as the Ciggy Shack Attendent because he was doing donuts in the parking lot and flattened the Ciggy Shack.

My mom landed on a square right at the end of the game where she had "one last roll in the hay" and ended up with a young'un named...wait for it...Mary Jane. Awesome.

I could go on all night recapping that game because it was the funniest thing that has happened in a really long time.

Poor Mark, he's still twitching.

2 comments:

bigbro said...

the 'ciggy shack' will rise again!Too funny, what afun trip and hope Mark stops twitchin' soon. your postings crack me up!

Melanie said...

Tears were literally coming out of my eyes & I could barely read all of the post! Ah, the quotes from your brothers! The fact that Faye had a youngin named Mary Jane! AND your comment about Monty's mullet!! Knowing all of you makes it even funnier. Haaaaaaaa!